May 1, 2010

Pre-Alaska haul out

Pre-Alaska haul out.

It has been almost three years since I first bought the boat and had her hauled out to see what I had gotten myself into. This means I was only one year late for the bi-annual haul out when Alize was pulled out this week and thrown up on sticks and blocks of wood for a well deserved wash, wax and paint.

Nothing but good things to say about Canal Boatyard in Fremont. On time, reasonable cost, friendly guys - they let me do all my own work and they showed impressive concern for the environment impacts of boatyard projects.

The success of this haul out lies squarely on the shoulders of a few excellent friends who contributed multiple days of blood and sweat and risked their health through exposure to a vibrant mix of 3M toxic industrial products.

Most valuable player award is shared equally by Steve Springer, Josh Newman and Federico Prado.

Honorable Mention goes to Micah Wait for assisting western passage through the large Ballard locks and Teddy Tolkin for assisting eastern passage through the small Ballard locks.

This series of van/boat shots means a lot to Steve and I, but probably means little to anyone else. This is the first time the van and the boat have been in such close proximity. My move onto a boat was largely inspired by Steve's nomadic lifestyle. Once we get around to instating the 'Squalorship', a small stipend for doctoral students in the Biology Dept at the UW who do not live in houses, we will use this shot for the home page.

Teddy caused a feeding frenzy at the boat yard when she starting buffing the hull. Salty dudes that hadn't talked to me in three days started walking over to my boat to see if we wanted to borrow their step ladder...which we did.

So, at the end of the week - I view the haul out as wildly successful. Alize is no longer Alize II, just Alize. She has fresh sacrificial zinc anodes, the struts and shaft are true and the propeller blades are coated with Petite zinc paint. Her previous coats of SeaLife 1000 had held up very well, so the scraping and sanding prep for this coat was minimal. After spending the better part of Wednesday morning, we got the 42% copper into solution and applied 2 more coats of anti-fouling paint.
We washed the fiberglass hull above waterline, then due to a very kind gesture from the guys at Pacific Fiberglass - we were loaned an electric buffer and 3M Imperial Buffing Compound (not cheap) - so for the first time on my watch - Alize had the faded, oxidized outer layer of fiberglass removed - so as to reveal a fancy sheen (hard to see in these poorly lit images - but trust me, its there). Then we capped off the hull with a coat of protective 3M Scotchguard wax and put her back in the water.


babbler said...

Congrats on the successful haul out, and best wishes for your adventure! I am writing from Newport Oregon, I need to clean up our fine craft, the Babbigale, and get her back in the water after she almost sunk last summer due to a small leak at the back of her while siting in port. Thanks for the inspiration to get her back in the water! Have fun in Alaska, if you need a laugh, come over to "Adventures of Mr. Slug and Friends" to visit us from time to time, I would love to hear how things are going with the sail. Best wishes to you and your crew,
Love, Mrs. Slug

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.